1. Information technology - hardware - operating systems.
Defined narrowly, an information technology platform is the hardware and operating system environment, in which a piece of software is run.
2. Information technology - hardware - operating systems - software - applications.
More broadly, any dimension of the information technology environment in which an application is run.
In this broader sense, the platform may include software, storage, and any other supporting frameworks.
- DeFi platforms - financial stability - regulatory challenges
- "The highly decentralised and global structure of the DeFi sector along with the difficulty to trace end users provide a unique set of challenges for regulators.
- ... the degree of decentralisation currently varies across platforms.
- However, in an extreme form, a DeFi platform could be completely decentralised with no identifiable legal entity, ownership nor even a point of human contact."
- Is 'crypto' a financial stability risk? - Bank of England - Jon Cunliffe, Deputy Governor, Financial Stability - October 2021.
3. Discussion and representation.
Any forum for the exchange of ideas and for collective advocacy.
- Neutral platform for best practice
- "The Official Monetary and Financial Institutions Forum (OMFIF) is an independent think tank for central banking, economic policy and public investment.
- It is established to be a neutral platform for best practice in worldwide public-private sector exchanges."
- Official Monetary and Financial Institutions Forum - the Treasurer's Wiki.
4. Learning and development.
Any foundational structure, or body of knowledge.
- Economics helps understand business
- "The study of economics provides a platform for understanding business and a reference framework for business systems and techniques."
- Economics - the Treasurer's Wiki.
- Bank of England
- Blockchain Governance Initiative Network (BGIN)
- Central bank
- Centralised finance (CeFi)
- Decentralised finance (DeFi)
- Distributed ledger
- Financial institution
- Financial intermediary
- Financial stability
- Information technology
- Invisible FX
- Learning and development
- New Payments Platform
- Official Monetary and Financial Institutions Forum
- Operating system
- Pension fund
- Sovereign wealth fund
- Smart contract
- Think tank