International Accounting Standard 38, dealing with intangible assets.
Issued by the International Accounting Standards Board.
The criteria for recognising an asset under IAS 38 include all of:
- The technical feasibility of completing the intangible asset (so that it will be available for use or sale); and
- Intention to complete and use or sell the asset; and
- Ability to use or sell the asset; and
- Existence of a market or, if to be used internally, the usefulness of the asset; and
- Availability of adequate technical, financial, and other resources to complete the asset.
If any of these criteria is not met, then the expenditure is a cost, and not an asset.