Road to Zero
Environmental concerns - UK government.
The Road to Zero was a strategy issued by the UK government in 2018 with the goals of:
- Putting the UK at the forefront of the design and manufacturing of zero emission vehicles.
- All new cars and vans being effectively zero emission by 2040 (NOTE).
- Ending the sale of new conventional petrol and diesel cars and vans by 2040 (NOTE).
- Almost every car and van to be zero emission by 2050.
- At least 50%, and as many as 70%, of new car sales and up to 40% of new van sales being ultra low emission by 2030.
Acceleration of some of these goals is detailed in the UK Government document, 'The Ten Point Plan for a Green Industrial Revolution', published in November 2020.
The Ten Point Plan now specifies 2030 as the end-date for new conventional car and van sales. New hybrid vehicle sales are now to be ended by 2035.