Value added services
In telecommunications, a value added service is any non-core feature or function of the telecommunications service, provided at little or no additional cost to the user, and adding value to the core offering.
Historically, this meant any non-voice feature.
As the number of standard functions increased, the scope of value added features has expanded to include:
- Mobile data management
- Smart-home energy management
- VAS revenues could exceed connectivity
- "According to Frost & Sullivan, the value-added service element of 5G could contribute more to revenues in this new sector than the underlying connectivity itself."
- BD Innovations - April 2021
2. Other services and products.
More broadly, any similarly value-enhancing non-core service, provided to the user at a low cost, or no additional cost.
For example, in logistics services, packing, or collection from the customer's own premises.