From ACT Wiki
Abbreviation for holdout creditors.
More broadly, any bodies or groups that have not agreed with a proposal supported by a majority.
- Holdout countries risk isolation
- "Most of the countries negotiating a global overhaul of cross-border taxation of multinationals have backed plans for new rules on where companies are taxed and a tax rate of at least 15%.
- The OECD said 130 countries, representing more than 90% of global GDP, had backed the agreement at the talks.
- The nine countries that did not sign were the low-tax EU members Ireland, Estonia and Hungary as well as Peru, Barbados, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Sri Lanka, Nigeria and Kenya.
- Holdouts risk becoming isolated because not only did all major economies sign up, but so did many noted tax havens such as Bermuda, the Cayman Islands and the British Virgin Islands."
- Reuters, July 2021.