Payment Interface Provider
From ACT Wiki
Central bank digital currency (CBDC) - intermediaries - Bank of England.
A Payment Interface Provider is a Bank of England proposal for intermediaries to support consumers' access to a possible CBDC.
- PIPs would not store CBDC
- "[In] this model, consumers would manage their account and make payments through a ‘payment interface provider’ (PIP).
- This would work something like bank accounts as we know them today.
- The important distinction is that PIPs would not store the CBDC.
- They would simply be a technological interface for the customer to view and manage their money."
- UK House of Commons Library - Research Briefing 9191 - April 2022 - page 6.
- Bank of England
- Central bank
- Central bank digital currency (CBDC)
- Digital currency
- Distributed ledger
- House of Commons
- Payment service provider (PSP)
- Retail central bank digital currency
- Wholesale central bank digital currency (wCBDC)